There was an error in this gadget

Monday, April 30, 2012

Chicken Wire Memo Board/Key Holder

Here's my latest project, a chicken wire memo board/key holder.  It measures 24 inches wide by 28 inches tall. The frame is made out of old barn wood. The board with the key hooks is just a piece of scrap wood.  I painted and distressed it and screwed the hooks in.  Then used wood glue to secure it inside the frame.
I cut a pocket out of an old pair of jeans and stuck a few dandelions in it, so cute.
I had some skeleton keys that I hung on the hooks for decoration.
 I painted and distressed six clothespins for hanging photos or memos.


Friday, April 27, 2012

Rustic Dragonfly Birdhouse

I saw this cute little birdhouse on Pinterest.  It was for sale on Etsy by 
  • BirdhousesByMichele  .  She has some really amazing birdhouses!  But the price was way too high($75).  So I decided to make my own rustic dragonfly birdhouse with supplies I already had on hand(so mine was free!)
 This is what I came up with...

Front View

 I love the olive green and light gray combination of colors.  I also distressed it with sandpaper to give it that awesome rustic look.  

Rusted Dragonfly

Side View


Back View


Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cardboard Box Made Into Cute Storage

This was a fun little project.  I've been seeing these storage boxes made out of simple cardboard boxes on Pinterest.  So I decided to try it out for myself.  I found some cute gray polka-dot fabric at a local thrift store.  And I had some pretty purple ribbon on hand to go with it.  
 The supplies I used:  a simple cardboard box, fabric, ribbon, scissors, hot glue gun, and a tape measure.  First I measured and cut four rectangle pieces, one for each side of the box.

 The next step was to hot glue the fabric onto the box.  I started by gluing the bottom edges then flipped the box over to glue the top.   I only put the fabric about two inches into the inside of the box because the box is going to be filled with stuff anyway.  No need to waste fabric.  
 Then I hot glued ribbon on each corner of the box and also ran the ribbon along the rim.
Start gluing the top ribbon at one corner of the box
 I think it turned out pretty good for my first try. 


Saturday, April 21, 2012

Driftwood and Burlap Sailboat

Yesterday I attempted to make a little driftwood sailboat for my sons new room.  First I found some driftwood pieces (1 stick-like piece for the mast and one larger piece for the hull).  I broke off about 1 1/2 inches off the stick piece to go on the side of the hull.  I drilled two holes, one on the top and one on the side of the hull.  The two sticks fit snugly inside the holes.  
 I tied some twine around the top of the mast, connecting one down to the smaller stick, the other just lay freely.  Then I took some stiff burlap (found at a local thrift store for $1/yard) and cut out two triangles for the sails.  I hot glued them to the top of the mast and then glued the twine on the edges of the sails.
 I was lucky to have found a driftwood stick that had a natural looking flag.  If I didn't I probably would  have made one out of scrapbook paper or a piece of fabric.