Yesterday I attempted to make a little driftwood sailboat for my sons new room. First I found some driftwood pieces (1 stick-like piece for the mast and one larger piece for the hull). I broke off about 1 1/2 inches off the stick piece to go on the side of the hull. I drilled two holes, one on the top and one on the side of the hull. The two sticks fit snugly inside the holes.
I tied some twine around the top of the mast, connecting one down to the smaller stick, the other just lay freely. Then I took some stiff burlap (found at a local thrift store for $1/yard) and cut out two triangles for the sails. I hot glued them to the top of the mast and then glued the twine on the edges of the sails.
I was lucky to have found a driftwood stick that had a natural looking flag. If I didn't I probably would have made one out of scrapbook paper or a piece of fabric.