Saturday, April 21, 2012

Driftwood and Burlap Sailboat

Yesterday I attempted to make a little driftwood sailboat for my sons new room.  First I found some driftwood pieces (1 stick-like piece for the mast and one larger piece for the hull).  I broke off about 1 1/2 inches off the stick piece to go on the side of the hull.  I drilled two holes, one on the top and one on the side of the hull.  The two sticks fit snugly inside the holes.  
 I tied some twine around the top of the mast, connecting one down to the smaller stick, the other just lay freely.  Then I took some stiff burlap (found at a local thrift store for $1/yard) and cut out two triangles for the sails.  I hot glued them to the top of the mast and then glued the twine on the edges of the sails.
 I was lucky to have found a driftwood stick that had a natural looking flag.  If I didn't I probably would  have made one out of scrapbook paper or a piece of fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment